Thursday 21 June 2012

why i don't care about your trip

Facebook: Social network site? Or tool of jealousy?


I care because i don't care



OK, I know that facebook is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family and all. It is also a great tool to organise events and so on. But there is one thing that I am starting to really despise on facebook: The token holiday activity.


Let me first start by saying; if I am guilty of any of the stuff I rant about, then that is completely acceptable for me to do so.

It all starts with the token '(insert name here) checked in at (insert city here) international/domestic airport' Of course followed by a completely terrible comment like "oh, hahaha bye Sydney, see you in 3 months" or something. Firstly, keep your damn facebook check-in to yourself. We get it, you're going to Europe for 3 months with your two friends. 


It is even more annoying when each one of them checks in each other so you have the exact same check in three times over, each one probably with it's own terrible farewell message at the end. If i had a dollar for every time I saw an airport check-in with a smart-ass departure message, i could probably afford my own airport by now.


Now after your fantastic facebook friends have checked in their bags and cleared immigration, it's time to head to the gate. And if you're really lucky they may even upload a photo of the plane they are about to board.....Why is this? I have no idea. Just incase we didn't actually believe that they were at the airport from the initial check in, we now get some visual aids to dispel any doubts we may have had. And guess what, we literally could not give a fuck what your plane looks like. We have all seen one before, and we may have even been on one. I have never once seen an upload of a plane and then kept a look out for the next hour to see if you flew over my house. A QANTAS 747!! Oh shit I had better get my binoculars out and keep my eyes peeled!



LUCKILY ELLIE AND SOPHIE UPLOADED A PHOTO OF THEIR PLANE BEFORE THEY TOOK OFF. THAT WAS AS USEFUL AS ME WAVING TO THEM FLY OVER.....





If you are reading this and thinking "wow, scotty is a real dick" then that is because you have done one of these already. And yes, i probably am a dick.

So once you have arrived at your final destination, you want to explore and have a look around, right? Wrong, you wanna get on facebook and let all those peasant mother fuckers back home that you have arrived in Paris. "Just having a latte at Charles de Gaulle with Jessica after a 23 hour flight. lol" Only a coffee?? But you must be the first person ever to go on a plane!? Somebody get that girl a medal. I will go back to enjoying my instant coffee in the real world, minus the blatant smugness that has poisoned yours. 


By the way, no matter where on this planet you go for your holidays, you are not the first person to ever go there. Aa a matter of a fact your probably somewhere in the millions. So do not talk up a place like the rest of us are uneducated retards. "Oh whats this? Bangkok is the CAPITAL of Thailand? Wow, Emma and James are just a wealth of knowledge"


There are so many other things that annoy me about seeing '............ trip 2012' on my newsfeed, but by far. The single most annoying thing you can do on your trip is upload an instagramed photo of....anything at all. If a photo needs to be instagramed in the first place then it was not a photo worth taking. If your looking at one of the seven wonders of the world, you upload that shit the way you see it. I don't want to look at it through some brown filter lens. Instagram is the devil.



                   SUMMER 2012 TRIP TO BALI. MATT AND I RELAXING ON THE BEACH





I think the world travel organisation (there is no such thing) should make it a mission to go to every single travel destination in the world and put up a big sign at photo hot spots which reads :


"THIS SITE IS LIKE THIS FOR A REASON, IT IS HOW IT IS. IF YOU DECIDE TO INSTAGRAM IT IN ANY WAY, YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO PHOTOGRAPH IT"


Thats my opinion and it is right. Upload pictures of your tropical fruit salad or nachos with instagram, i don't care. Do the self-shots instagram style so that everybody thinks your 20 shades browner and somehow your eyes and hair glow. But leave the grand canyon and Vegas lights photo the way they are. 


Please note: I do have mates overseas at the moment and this was in NO WAY inspired by any of you. This is directed at those "facebook friends" who you have no idea why you even have them on there!


Go on a trip for a new experience, learn, live eat and party. Its about the experience. Not how many fucking 'LIKES'  that photo of you on a Greek island got on facebook.



I am aware that I am probably guilty of a few of those things I have ranted about. But thats totally ok cause I  allowed to.


random blog I know.




-scotty





No comments:

Post a Comment